Skip to content

How Can I Pursue Adverse Possession of Land in Jamaica?

To claim adverse possession of land in Jamaica, you must meet specific legal requirements outlined in the Limitation of Actions Act. This process involves openly occupying the land without the owner's permission for a continuous period of at least 12 years. Additionally, you must demonstrate that your possession was:

  1. Exclusive: You possessed the land exclusively, without sharing possession with the owner or others.
  2. Continuous: Your occupation of the land was continuous and uninterrupted for the entire 12-year period.
  3. Notorious: Your possession of the land was visible, obvious, and known to the owner and the public.
  4. Hostile: Your possession of the land was without the owner's permission or consent.

To formally claim adverse possession, you may need to file an application with the Jamaican courts, providing evidence of your occupation and fulfilling the legal requirements outlined in the law. It's advisable to seek legal assistance from a qualified attorney experienced in property law to guide you through the process and ensure that all necessary steps are followed correctly.

Disclaimer: The information provided here is intended for general guidance purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Laws and regulations regarding adverse possession may vary, and it's essential to seek personalized legal counsel from a qualified attorney familiar with Jamaican property law to address specific circumstances and ensure compliance with applicable regulations.

Feedback and Knowledge Base